April 19, 2023
For Zarlequan Press
In any relationship, conflicts and challenges are normal and even healthy, as they provide an opportunity for growth and understanding. However, it’s important to distinguish between acceptable conflicts and challenges versus those that are toxic or harmful to the relationship.
So often, I hear people say that certain things are not acceptable or that certain behaviors are never okay. However, it can be difficult to know what is considered acceptable or not, especially if we didn’t have a healthy example growing up. With technology today, we have access to resources that can help us understand what a healthy relationship looks like.
Today, I want to discuss what is considered acceptable and unacceptable conflicts and challenges in a relationship.
Acceptable conflicts and challenges in a relationship might include:
- Differences in opinion or values: It’s natural for individuals to have different opinions and values, and this can lead to healthy debates and discussions in a relationship.
- Misunderstandings: Miscommunications and misunderstandings can occur in any relationship, but they can be resolved through open communication and clarifying intentions.
- Differences in needs or expectations: Individuals may have different needs or expectations in a relationship, which can lead to conflicts. However, by discussing these needs and expectations openly and honestly, a solution can often be found.
- Life stressors: External stressors such as work, finances, or health issues can affect a relationship, but by supporting each other and working together, a couple can navigate these challenges together.
On the other hand, toxic conflicts and challenges in a relationship might include:
- Disrespectful behavior: Any form of disrespect, such as name-calling or belittling, is unacceptable in a relationship.
- Manipulation or control: When one partner tries to manipulate or control the other, this can be harmful and toxic to the relationship.
- Physical or emotional abuse: Any form of abuse, whether physical or emotional, is never acceptable in a relationship and should be addressed immediately.
- Infidelity: Cheating or any form of infidelity can cause irreparable damage to a relationship.
Conflicts and challenges in a relationship are acceptable and can even be healthy, but it’s important to distinguish between acceptable and toxic behaviors. Open communication, mutual respect, and a willingness to work through challenges together are key to maintaining a healthy and fulfilling relationship.
Remember to check in with your body and intuition when navigating conflicts and challenges in a relationship. Do you feel relaxed and at peace with your partner? Are you experiencing any tension or discomfort? How is your breathing? Paying attention to these signals can help guide you towards making healthy choices for yourself and your relationship.
written by Brittani Starr
Brittani a writer who explores the complexities of real life relationships and delves into the world of fantasy writing as well. She also writes self-help books and offers courses on witchcraft and living an intuitive life. Her writing is a reflection of her passion for understanding human connections and exploring the depths of the human experience.